Monday, August 29, 2011

Waffle Cookies

The other night my sister-in-law was talking about waffle cookies and I’ve pretty much been thinking about them ever since.  I can’t even remember the last time I had waffle cookies, which is a shame, because they’re amazing and fun all at once.  I found a recipe on allrecipes.com  that I modified a bit to make them gluten free.  I don’t remember what the “regular” ones even tasted like anymore, but these are so good!  The frosting recipe is my favorite chocolate frosting ever, so it makes everything double-fantastic. Enjoy.

Gluten Free Waffle Cookies
1 1/2 c. white sugar
1 c. butter, melted (I used pureed beans and it worked great)
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c. gf all purpose flour (I used 1 c. white rice flour and 1 c. tapioca flour)
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. chopped walnuts, optional (I have no idea why I didn’t add those)

Preheat waffle iron and mix all ingredients together.  Drop dough onto by heaping tablespoons onto the center of the waffle iron. I actually just plopped a huge scoop right in the middle and it turned out great. Close the lid and cook for about 90 seconds. Watch them close so they don’t burn!

My Favorite Chocolate Frosting
8 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/3 c. skim milk
4 c. sifter powdered sugar
Melt butter in medium sauce pan on low.  Whisk in the cocoa and milk.  Bring mixture barely to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat. Using an electric mixer, beat in the powdered sugar until thick and smooth.  Pour warm frosting over cookies (or a cake, or whatever).

No comments:

Post a Comment