Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes

This is my new favorite treat.  I've made these twice now and they are just amazing!  I'm usually hesitant to try anything with filling because it sounds a little too complicated for me, but it really wasn't.  The complication has been finding the right amount of xanthan gum.  The first time I made these I forgot to use any and they actually turned out pretty decent but were very sunken-in. Once I added the filling you really couldn't tell, so you could try them that way.  The second time I used 1 1/2 tsp, which I think was way too much but I actually really liked the end result.  The batter was pretty "gummy" and the cupcakes baked up sort of deformed-looking, but the texture was incredible and once they were frosted they looked perfect.  It was almost like an angel-food cake or something.  It was fantastic.  I think the next time (because there WILL be a next time :)) I will try 1tsp or a little less of xanthan gum and see what that does.  Maybe by then I'll be decent at taking pictures of food and you can see them.  Anyway...these are amazing and super easy!  The original recipe came from the Cupcake Blog.

Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes

Cupcakes
1 c butter, room temperature (I used pureed white northern beans...takes away just about all the fat!)
2 c sugar
4 large eggs (room temperature)
2 3/4 c gluten free all-purpose (I used 2 c Blue Chip Featherlite, 1/2 c tapioca & 1/4 c sweet sorghum...that's what I had on hand)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 c milk
1/4 c fresh squeezed lemon juice
zest of one lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter on hight until soft (again, I used beans and skipped that step).  Add sugar and beat until fluffy.  Add eggs.  In a seperate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.  Slowly add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix well.  Slowly add milk combine well.  Add lemon juice and zest.  Scoop into cupcake papers  that have been sprayed with cooking spray (about 1/2 full).  Bake 20-23 min or until tooth pick comes out clean.  Cool completely on cooling rack.  Once cool, add filling and frost.  See below:


Raspberry Filling
Smuckers "Simply Fruit" Raspberry Spread
 
When the cupcakes have cooled, spoon about half a bottle of raspberry spread into a frosting bag with skinny tip.  Poke about half way into the center of each cupcake and squirt until top begins to rise (I think it ends up being about 1/2tsp per cupcake)
 
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick butter, room temperature
6oz cream cheese (I used fat-free)
1 1/2-2 c powdered sugar
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon zest

Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy.  Slowly add powdered sugar to desired consistency (I used slightly more than 2 cups).  Add lemon juice/zest.  Beat to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment