Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My New Favorite Banana Bread

People.  I tried the most bizarre thing ever, and it was a total success, so I wanted to share.  A few nights ago a friend at work showed me this blog.  This woman reveals an amazing secret (at least it was news to me...).  Oil can be substituted in baked goods with BEANS!! Yes, beans.  Stay with me, now.  Here's what I did:  I made this recipe and instead of 1/2 c. oil, I used 1/2 cup white beans pureed with water.  She shows you how to do it on her blog.  I opened a can of beans, drained them, filled them back up with water and them tossed it in the magic bullet.  You just switch it out, cup for cup.  You would never guess.  It tasted fabulous, and I felt so much less guilt eating half of it in one day. =)  Imagine the decrease in fat, and all that extra protien and fiber!


Yogurt Banana Bread

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil (or go crazy and use pureed beans/water)
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 ripe bananas)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 c. walnuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan (or use 3 small loaf pans). In a large bowl, beat together sugar and oil. Add eggs, bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda and salt; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 60 minutes (about 40 minutes for smaller loaf pan) or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment